What is TouchOSC
Touch OSC is a great way to control your MIDI in your sequencer, wether it is Cubase, Maschine or Ableton Live. It enables you to use any touch device as a MIDI controller. The interface is also modular, meaning that it is completely up to you to decide what the interface should look like. And best of all it is free!
There are other alternatives out there, but they are either paid versions or they are not particularly modular, or they are only for iOS. I have used TouchOSC for some years and I have to say that it is by far the best MIDI controller software out there!
How to install
- Dwonload TouchOSC. Make sure you get the right version. If you are unsure if you need a x64 or x86 version read this.
- Unzip the download. If you do not know how to unzip a file please read this if you are on Windows and this if you are on a MAC.
- The program is portable, so you can place the folder anywhere. You can try to open TouchOSCEditor.exe and see if it works. If it works you are good to go.
- If you get a message saying “Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this app” just check “Private networks” and click on “Allow access”.
No JVM could be found error message
When you open TouchOSC you might get an error message saying “No JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 64-bit JDK or JRE or a JRE from www.java.com.
TouchOSC is written in Java and is therefore dependent on the user having installed “Java Runtime Environment (JRE)” on the computer. JRE is part of the Java Development Kit (JDK), but can be downloaded separately. In other words:
- JDK – Use this if you want to develop applications
- JRE – Use this if you want to run applications dependent on Java libraries
Since we only want to run an application here all we need to do is to download the correct installer of JRE. You can download this over here
We want to use the latest version, so we just have to “Accept License Agreement “, find the download for our operating system and download. Once you have downloaded and installed the file you should be able to run TouchOSC just fine!